Help! There Are Beetles Taking Over My Elizabeth City Home
If you've got beetles in your yard, you may want to have a professional Elizabeth City pest control company deal with them. However, if you have them inside your house, you definitely need to contact Albemarle Termite & Pest Control for help. In this guide, you'll learn how to identify signs that you've got beetles, whether or not they're dangerous, some simple tips to prevent them, and what to do if they're already in your home.
How To Identify Signs Of Beetles In Your Home
There are 10 different types of beetles that are commonly found in Elizabeth City:
- Asian lady beetles may overwinter in your home. They're typically red with black spots.
- Black carpet beetles are black and look like they're hunchbacked due to their head position.
- Carpet beetles in your home have a mottled exoskeleton, with black, white, and brownish patches.
- Cigarette beetles look similar to black carpet beetles, except they're brown.
- Confused flour beetles are shiny, reddish-brown and have antennae that stick out to the sides of their heads.
- Drugstore beetles are tiny brown beetles that have a habit of eating prescription drugs. However, they'll also eat just about anything that comes into their path.
- Ground beetles have black, ridged wing covers, but can't fly. They can, however, run very fast.
- Oriental beetles can be pale brown, mottled brown, or mottled black.
- Powderpost beetles are slender and reddish-brown, dark brown, or black.
- Varied carpet beetles have wing covers that are a mottled mix of brown, black, white, and dark yellow.
If you think you have any of these species of beetles on your Elizabeth City property, you need to contact Albemarle Termite & Pest Control to start your hassle-free service and get rid of them.
Are Beetles Dangerous?
There are varying levels of risk when it comes to beetles. Here are some specifics for the beetles that live in our area.
- Asian lady beetles can destroy crops of alfalfa, corn, and soybeans.
- Black carpet beetle larvae can feed on and contaminate clothing, dry goods, rugs, and upholstered furniture.
- Carpet beetle larvae can eat and contaminate blankets, carpets, clothes, dry goods, and upholstered furniture.
- Cigarette beetles lay their eggs in dry goods so their larvae can feed on them, contaminating those foods.
- Confused flour beetles contaminate our food with their saliva, excrement, and shed skin.
- Drugstore beetle larvae feed on and contaminate food in your pantry.
- Ground beetles may emit a toxic liquid called cantharidin if they feel threatened. Cantharidin can cause a painful burning sensation on human skin.
- Oriental beetle grubs feed on the roots of grasses, causing brown spots in your yard.
- Powderpost beetles are the second-most dangerous pest when it comes to eating wooden structures – only termites can do more damage to your home.
- Varied carpet beetles cause the most damage in their larval form, eating fabrics, animal products like leather, and dry goods.
Some people wonder, "Do beetles bite?" There are very few beetles that bite, and none of them live in our neck of the woods. However, that doesn't mean you don't need help solving beetle problems. To get rid of your beetle infestation, call Albemarle Termite & Pest Control today to set up your hassle-free service.
Simple Tips To Prevent Beetles In Your Home
There are several ways to prevent beetles from entering your home. The primary method for deterring beetles is finding ways to exclude them from your home. You can do this by making sure your window and door screens are intact, installing weather stripping around doors and windows, sealing cracks and crevices in your foundation, and repairing holes in your roof and siding. It's also important to think about landscaping factors around your home. To keep beetles and other pests away, try trimming branches and shrubs one to two feet from your exterior walls and space your garden away from your home. Of course, the surest way to prevent issues with beetles and other pests is to work with a professional pest company like Albemarle Termite & Pest Control to eliminate problematic beetles from your Elizabeth City home.
Why You Should Call The Pros About Beetles In Your Home
You don't need to know how to get rid of beetles. That's not something that's covered in school. It's not in any "adulting 101" guides. It's just not information you need. What you do need to know is how to contact Albemarle Termite & Pest Control because we know how to get rid of beetles. Our highly-trained pest management professionals are waiting for you to contact us to get started and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Elizabeth City.