Roach Removal 101: What It Takes To Eliminate An Infestation In Your Elizabeth City Home
July 09, 2023
Chances are, you’ve already tried a few over-the-counter cockroach control products or ideas from the internet to eliminate your roach problem. But a cockroach infestation can be very challenging for homeowners to get rid of. This guide is here to help you learn what it takes to eliminate cockroaches and how to keep them from returning.
We’ll start by detailing the physical characteristics of common roaches in the area and review the health risks that come with them. We’ll also provide some practical tips Elizabeth City pest control companies suggest to prevent and deter these insects. Continue reading to learn more about roach control from the pest management professionals at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control.
Physical Characteristics Of Roaches: How To Identify Them
Several cockroach species in Elizabeth City infest homes, and correctly identifying them can help determine the best way to control and eliminate them. All cockroaches have an oval shape to their bodies and have a flat appearance. Here are some distinct characteristics to help you differentiate between the various species:
- American cockroaches: Reddish brown with a yellow figure-eight pattern on the back of the head, long antennae, between 1 1/4 and 2 1/8 inches long
- Brown-banded cockroaches: Brown, with two lighter brown bands, long antennae, about 1/2 an inch in length
- German cockroaches: Light brown to tan with two dark stripes on the back, between 1/2 and 5/8 of an inch long
- Oriental cockroaches: Black to dark-reddish brown, have a glossy appearance, around 1 inch long
- Smokey brown cockroaches: Dark brown to black, with wings longer than their bodies, between 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 inches long
Contact us today at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control if you need cockroach identification or elimination assistance. Our pest management professionals can quickly diagnose your problem and start treatment to get rid of these pests as soon as possible.
Health Risks Of Roaches: The Dangers Of Cockroach Infestations
Cockroaches are dirty pests that spend their time outdoors among garbage, decaying animals, and in sewers. Cockroach legs are spiny and pick up germs and bacteria they can carry into your home. Roaches can contaminate your home spreading illnesses like salmonellosis, cholera, typhoid fever, and parasitic worms.
Cockroach droppings in your home can also cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks, especially in children and people with compromised immune systems. These pests breed rapidly, and larger infestations mean higher chances of health issues. Contact us today at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control for help eliminating roaches and protecting your family from the dangers of these pests.
Professional Roach Extermination: Call The Experts Right Away
Cockroaches are one of the most challenging pests to eliminate. They multiply quickly, and it is hard for homeowners to find all cockroaches hiding throughout their homes. Store-bought cockroach control products typically only work on the roaches you can see, leaving behind the eggs and the hidden adults.
Professional roach pest control is the safest and most effective way to eliminate these troublesome pests. The pest management professionals at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control are here to help you eradicate cockroaches and prevent them from returning. Contact us today to learn more about our pest control services or to request your free inspection.
Effective Ways To Keep Roaches Out: Essential Prevention Measures
Learning how to deter cockroaches can help you stop a future infestation. Careful vigilance around your property can enable you to spot and repair conditions that might attract these troublesome pests. Here are some tips to help avoid attracting roaches and prevent them from getting inside again:
- Avoid leaving any food out, including pet food.
- Store food in pest-proof containers whenever possible.
- Store trash properly in clean containers with tight seals.
- Eliminate standing water and divert water away from your foundation with gutters, properly functioning downspouts, and splash blocks.
- Seal cracks and crevices with a silicone-based caulk, paying attention to potential entry points around windows and doors.
- Stop roaches from coming in through drains and vents by installing mesh screens over them.
- Keeping your home clean and tidy is one of the best methods of house cockroach prevention.
The pros at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control know how to control cockroaches in Elizabeth City homes. We have over 100 years of combined experience preventing and eliminating pests in North Carolina. Contact us today to learn how we can help you eliminate your cockroach problem and prevent future pest infestations.