The Secret To Keeping The Powderpost Beetles In Elizabeth City At Bay
September 09, 2022
Driving through Elizabeth City, North Carolina, takes you back to yesteryear. While this quaint little city has all the modern conveniences, a slight detour off the main drag takes you through sleepy streets with old houses, bobbing fishing boats, and locals just sitting together having a good natter. Within the city limits of this laid-back area lurks the powderpost beetle, and without help from Elizabeth City pest control, they can inflict severe damage upon area homes.
Signs Of Powderpost Beetles
Powderpost beetles in Elizabeth City are a force to be reckoned with; their reputation for destruction ranks a close second to destructive termites. In light of their importance, homeowners should know the signs powderpost beetles leave behind that help indicate their presence in homes.
Three powderpost beetle signs include:
- Countless small holes in wood measuring between 1/32 to 1/8 inches in diameter
- A fine flour-like consistency ("sawdust") outside visible holes or within the wood
- Clicking/rasping sounds behind walls
A powderpost beetle infestation in Elizabeth City is difficult to detect; therefore, their destructive behavior often continues unabated. Without intervention from a pest professional like Albemarle Termite & Pest Control, the damage to wooden structures can be extensive.
Damages That Powderpost Beetles Can Cause
There are several different species of powderpost beetles in Elizabeth City. They mostly prefer hardwoods, but softwoods are not off their menu. Some rarely reinfest wood; others often revisit wood they've munched on before. Whatever type of powderpost beetle visits, damage to wood products can be extensive.
Damages powderpost beetles inflict include the following:
- Unsightly holes (small number) in the surfaces of cabinets, moldings, hardwood flooring, and trim
- Many holes, extensive tunnels, and prominent galleries in reinfested wood (causing extensive damage that can weaken subfloors, joists, hardwood flooring, trim, furniture, and lumber)
- Wood failure in wood that has been infested for a long time
Fighting powderpost beetle infestations can cause you to want to pull your hair out. Albemarle Termite & Pest Control's extensive experience can help you obtain effective and efficient treatment and removal, protecting your peace of mind.
Powderpost Beetle Control Tips
With so much wood material in homes, homeowners may feel all hope is lost when combating these hungry little bugs. The good news is that homeowners can use simple control techniques to help deter powderpost beetles from entering their homes.
Tips to help you control powderpost beetles include:
- Check wood products for holes before bringing them into homes.
- Firewood should be split, debarked, and stored well away from homes.
- Reduce high-humidity areas with dehumidifiers, vents, and moisture barriers.
- Ensure drainage systems direct moisture well away from buildings.
- Remedy areas that have wood-to-ground contact.
- Replacing any infested wood with new, treated wood.
- Fill in gaps, cracks, and crevices in wood with paint, wood varnish, or shellac.
Homeowners may take numerous steps to stop powderpost beetles from damaging wood around their homes, only to fail. If powderpost beetles do break through your defenses, it's time to call in the professionals at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control.
Powderpost Beetle Control Services Simply In Elizabeth City
When dealing with powderpost beetle damage, it helps to know Albemarle Termite & Pest Control has over 100 years of combined experience in the pest control industry. With three generations serving in our family-owned and locally-operated company, you can rest assured that our roots and dedication to the people of Elizabeth City are strong. Don't trust the integrity of your home to just anyone. Call Albemarle Termite & Pest Control today to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Elizabeth City – your pest concerns are our top priority.