What To Do If You Suspect You Are Dealing With Roaches In Elizabeth City
March 10, 2023
If you suspect you might have a cockroach problem, you need to call a professional Elizabeth City pest control company like Albemarle Termite & Pest Control. Our pest management professionals are highly trained to deal with any pest problem you might have, including cockroaches.
What Cockroaches Look Like
There are five different types of cockroaches in Elizabeth City:
- American cockroaches are mahogany brown with a yellow figure eight on their head. They grow from 1 ¼ and 2 ? inches long. They have wings they typically use to glide from a higher location to a lower one.
- Brown-banded cockroaches are brown and have yellowish bands across their wings. They’re generally ½ inch long. Males and females both have wings, but only males can fly.
- German cockroaches are medium brown with two dark lines running down the length of their bodies, which are about ½ to ? inch long.
- Oriental cockroaches are black and strongly resemble beetles. They typically grow to 1 inch long.
- Smokybrown cockroaches are mahogany brown to black. They grow to about 1 ? to 1 ? inches long. They have fully developed wings they use to fly.
If you see any insects in or around your home that resemble any of these bugs, you need to know how to get rid of cockroaches in Elizabeth City. The answer is simple: Call Albemarle Termite & Pest Control for help.
Why Cockroach Infestations Are Such A Health Hazard
It’s important for you to understand what diseases Elizabeth City cockroaches carry because they can infect you, your family, and your pets and make you all seriously ill.
These diseases include:
- Typhoid fever
- E. coli
This is by no means an exhaustive list. Cockroaches are known to carry at least 46 bacteria, parasites, and other pathogens that you don’t want to catch.
There’s also a risk of a German cockroach allergy, which has the strongest effect on children with asthma. However, anyone of any age can develop an allergy to German cockroaches.
Between the diseases they carry and the allergies they can cause, it’s crucial that you have a roach pest control company you can count on to help you get rid of them, like Albemarle Termite & Pest Control.
Five Tips To Prevent Cockroach Infestations
By now, you probably want to know how to prevent cockroaches from infesting your home in the first place.
Here are five tips to prevent cockroaches.
- Seal your foundation. Cockroaches can get in through small cracks and crevices in your foundation. You also need a barrier between your house and any plants or mulch. Lay down a foot or two of gravel to dissuade cockroaches from investigating your foundation.
- Change your outdoor light bulbs from white to yellow. Yellow bulbs attract fewer insects than white ones, including cockroaches.
- Put tight-fitting lids on your outdoor garbage cans. Store them at least 6 feet away from your home, so cockroaches are attracted to an area that’s not right next to your house.
- Keep your kitchen clean. Wipe up spills and crumbs promptly. Wash your dirty dishes after you’re done eating. Sweep or vacuum nightly, then mop to make sure your floor is clean. Take out your kitchen garbage every night, and, once a month, wash out your trash can.
- Work with a pest management company like Albemarle Termite & Pest Control so we can apply products inside and outside your home that will deter cockroaches from even coming near your house.
Cockroaches are extremely challenging to get rid of at your Elizabeth City home once they make their way in. Using these tips to prevent an infestation can save a lot of time and effort.
Call The Experts For Total Cockroach Control For Your Home
The bottom line is that you don’t have to fight cockroaches on your own. We’re here to help, and we know how to get rid of cockroaches for good. We’re a family-owned and operated business with three generations of family members working in the company. Many of our customers have been with us for more than a decade because we’re making a difference. Contact us now to begin and learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Elizabeth City.