DIY Mosquito Control In Elizabeth City Isn't As Easy As You Might Think
April 01, 2023
Who doesn’t love a good DIY project to keep busy on the weekend? Unfortunately, mosquitoes are one problem that is not easy to deal with without help from professionals. These pests must be dealt with quickly because of the many diseases and viruses carried by mosquitoes, as well as their annoying and itchy bites.
You may have already tried to use some home remedies for mosquitoes, and they haven't worked as well as you thought. These pests are difficult to eliminate, and they breed very quickly.
Read on to earn more about North Carolina mosquitoes and the risks of having them on your property. We’ll also explain how a local Elizabeth City pest control company like Albermarle Termite & Pest Control can help to eliminate mosquitoes from your property, so you can get back outside to enjoy your yard.
How To Identify The Different Types Of Mosquitoes
Identifying the types of mosquitoes on your property can help you treat them and be aware of what diseases they may be carrying. Here are the most common types in our area:
- Culex mosquitoes are less than half an inch in size and are mostly gray with iridescent scales on their bodies.
- Asian tiger mosquitoes are the most common type of North Carolina mosquito. They get their name from the black and white stripes that cover their bodies.
- Anopheles mosquitoes are brown to black and about ? of an inch in size.
If you are unsure of the type of mosquito on your property or are looking for the best way to keep mosquitoes out of your yard, contact Albermarle Termite & Pest Control today.
About The Dangerous Diseases Mosquitoes Can Spread
Each of the three types of mosquitoes on our list, plus many more, can carry diseases. Mosquitoes are vectors for disease, meaning that when they bite an animal or a person, they pick up a disease that they can then spread to us when we get a bite.
The following list includes some of the diseases and viruses carried by mosquitoes in our area:
- West Nile virus: About one in five people infected with this virus will develop symptoms such as a fever, headache, rash, vomiting, and joint and body aches.
- Encephalitis: Observable symptoms include seizures, trouble speaking, confusion, and loss of consciousness.
- Tularemia: Presents with swollen glands, inflamed eyes, mouth sores, skin ulcers, and pneumonia.
- Dengue: Symptoms include pain behind the eyes, rash, nausea, and vomiting.
Home remedies for mosquito bites that treat itchiness and swelling will help, but if you have any of the symptoms above, we recommend seeking medical attention. For immediate help with mosquito control, contact the pros at Albermarle Termite & Pest Control to protect your family and pets from dangerous mosquitoes.
Is Do-It-Yourself Mosquito Control Effective?
Unfortunately, even the best products to keep mosquitoes away sold over the counter rarely eradicate entire mosquito populations. If you do not treat the entire life cycle, and eggs, larvae, or pupae are left behind, within a couple of weeks, your mosquito problem will return. Using professional treatments from Albermarle Termite & Pest Control is the most effective option.
The Best Mosquito Control Solution For Elizabeth City Properties
The best way to keep mosquitoes out of your yard is to treat your entire property for mosquitoes. Pest professionals have the tools and systems available to eradicate your mosquito problem, so you can return to enjoying your yard.
Our pest management professionals understand mosquito control and will help to eliminate these pests from your yard. We can also help to figure out where they are breeding on your property so that we can interrupt the life cycle. For hassle-free service, contact Albermarle Termite & Pest Control today.