How Dangerous Are Cockroaches In Elizabeth City?
June 10, 2020
There are many pests that people despise and don’t want in their homes, and the cockroach is one of the most hated of all. This is because they're gross and they are known for being hardy and difficult to get rid of. They also can reproduce quickly and can take over places like kitchens and bathrooms in no time.
While cockroaches are gross to look at and highly invasive, they are more than just a nuisance. They also pose health hazards by spreading many germs and diseases. Since cockroaches are most likely to hang out in moisture-rich places such as bathrooms and kitchens, they can easily contaminate food sources.
There are many different species of cockroaches in the world, but there are only a few species that are common in Elizabeth City. Here are the different species and how you can tell them apart:
- The American cockroach is one of the most common in the area, and it’s also one of the biggest. They are known for having a figure-eight pattern behind their heads in yellow color.
- The German cockroach can be identified by the two black stripes they have that run horizontally on their heads.
- The Cuban cockroach is a smaller species that is usually a pale green color.
- The brown-hooded cockroach is more commonly found outside and is a dark brown color.
Why Do Cockroaches Come Inside?
Cockroaches usually come inside a home because they are attracted to food sources and moisture-rich environments. This is why they are found in damp, dark areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. Because they are so small, they can enter a home through small holes or even through drains and pipes.
Because cockroaches are attracted to moisture and food sources, the best way to prevent them is to make your home less attractive to them. Here are some things you can do to prevent cockroaches:
- Don’t leave food out in your home.
- Clean up any spills or crumbs quickly.
- Reduce moisture by fixing leaky pipes.
- Repair holes in door and window screens.
- Place weather-stripping on windows and doors.
- Vacuum regularly.
Are Cockroaches Dangerous?
Yes, cockroaches are dangerous. Here are some of the risks that cockroaches pose:
- They have been known to spread around thirty different diseases.
- They often contaminate food sources.
- They can cause allergic reactions for some people.
- They can leave stains on your clothes or fabric.
Cockroaches are not a sanitary thing to have in your home, so it’s best to address any cockroaches infestations as soon as you notice them.
Removing A Cockroach Infestation
Because cockroaches can multiply quickly and spread germs over food-prep surfaces in your home, it’s important to get rid of them if you see them. The most effective and safest way to protect your home and family from cockroaches is to contact the pest control professionals at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control, Inc. We have over 100 years of pest control experience in the Elizabeth City area.