How Dangerous Are Cockroaches In Virginia?
Pest remediation often drops to the bottom of a “to-do” list for many home and business owners in Virginia. They have so many tasks, they’ll de-prioritize the service. If insects and creatures aren’t seen, it will really be an afterthought. However, you should always pursue creepy crawlers. Multiple species can get by without being caught, and they will wreck your personal effects. Not to mention, they might be a threat to your health. When a critter reproduces rapidly, things can be even worse. Cockroaches, for example, are a nightmare.
Cockroaches breed at a fast rate and they can get through holes of every size. On top of that, they’ll gather in hard-to-reach spots. It won’t be easy to eliminate them, but you have to make every effort. Otherwise, your well-being will suffer. Find out more about the hazards of local cockroaches, and how Albemarle Termite & Pest Control can help you stop them.
What Cockroaches Are Common in Virginia? What Are the Hazards?
American and German cockroaches are known as building invaders that are dominant in the area. The American bugs are 3 inches long and reddish-brown. German insects are brown or tan and 0.51 to 0.62 of an inch when they are fully grown. They focus on running rather than flying. The young don’t have any wings, and they are completely black in color. Both share black stripes behind the head. There’s no doubt you have an infestation if you see these nocturnal pests during the day. In case you don’t spot them, be on alert if you encounter these signs:
- Odors: Mustiness will be prevalent, as cockroaches have secretions and communication chemicals that are smelly. The fluids will alter the taste and scent of food.
- Shed Skin: Cockroaches let go of their exoskeleton when they reach adulthood.
- Eggs: You may come across eggs or casings 1 inch long or tinier. They’re red, brown, black, or tan.
- Droppings: American cockroaches have ridged turds with blunt ends. German critters have fecal grains that resemble pepper. Stains or particles will be around surfaces, door frames, drawers, and floor corners.
As mentioned previously, cockroaches can endanger your health. Germs cover their bodies. Their urine, feces, and saliva contain bacterial cells as well. When they’re in gutters, alleys, dumpsters, and other filthy surroundings, they garner more microbes. The spines on their legs are sticky and will attach to objects and liquids. Whatever they’ve picked up could be in your food or on your surfaces. Illnesses like salmonella and gastroenteritis might be contracted. You could catch a virus or pathogen too. Their dead skin and carcasses can trigger allergies and asthma. If American cockroaches are troubling your home or business, keep in mind that your fabrics and paper may be ruined.
Is There a Way to Prevent Virginia Cockroaches?
Domiciles and establishments can be victimized by cockroaches, regardless of how clean or dirty it is. These bugs can live on small quantities of food. Do these things to discourage cockroaches:
- Close up openings in doors, windows, foundations, and utilities.
- Have moisture complications and leaks fixed right away.
- Ensure that window screens and door sweeps are in good condition.
- Cut the grass and trim greenery on a routine basis.
- Sit flowers and plants two feet away from the property.
- Put food and trash in containers with secure lids.
- Take out the trash frequently.
- Clean the kitchen thoroughly and wash dishes regularly.
- Regularly vacuum rugs.
How Will Albemarle Termite & Pest Control Handle Virginia Cockroaches?
We at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control have industrial-grade solutions to eradicate cockroaches. You can’t find our products and equipment in a retail store. Our safe interior and exterior treatments include perimeter barriers, bait stations, and more. Call today for a no-obligation inspection!