Stay Ahead Of The Ant Problem Forming On Your Elizabeth City Property
February 18, 2022
Where do ants live? Most often they live outside, sometimes near homes. If conditions are right, ants will invade living areas to scavenge. If conditions are really right, they will build their nests indoors. We are here today to offer some pest control solutions in Elizabeth City to help you make sure a few ants do not turn into a full-blown infestation. If you have seen a few ants crawling around inside your home recently and you are trying to stay ahead of the problem before it becomes severe, here are some things to consider today.
How Can I Tell What Type Of Ants Are On My Elizabeth City Property?
One question people regularly have is: how many types of ants are there here in Elizabeth City? The truth is, many species that live in our area have no desire to invade our homes. The ones you should be concerned about are odorous house ants, Pharaoh ants, pavement ants, and carpenter ants. Here is a basic description of each of these pests.
- Odorous house ants are 1/16 to ?” long, brown or black, release a foul odor when squished and nest both indoors and outside.
- Pharaoh ants are 1/16” long, pale yellow, have a darker abdomen, and nest in a variety of areas.
- Pavement ants are ?” long, are dark brown to black, and build their nests around paved areas like sidewalks, streets, and driveways.
- Carpenter ants are ?” long, red, black, or red and black, and typically build their nests inside water-damaged structures of wood.
Should I Be Worried if I See One Ant In My Elizabeth City House?
Most ants that live in our area are not harmful to human health or property. Ants in Elizabeth City are mostly annoying. Keeping this in mind, there are two species that are especially problematic, the carpenter ant and the Pharaoh ant. Do carpenter ants bite people? Not as often as they chew through the structural wood of homes to build their nests. This type of behavior is incredibly destructive. Pharaoh ants may cause problems in a different way. These small insects can pick up and spread bacteria throughout homes. Two sicknesses you can get from Pharaoh ants are salmonellosis and staphylococcus.
How To Prevent Ants In Elizabeth City
If you are wondering how to prevent ants, you should start with some detailed prevention strategies. Here are a few that our experts recommend.
- Use a caulking gun or some liquid cement to fill in holes, cracks, and gaps in your home’s exterior foundation.
- Make sure all of your home’s window/door screens, weatherstripping, and door sweeps are in good working order.
- Repair damage to your home’s piping and fixtures.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors to combat humidity.
- Eliminate sources of water buildup.
- Thoroughly clean your living areas at least once a week.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids and that you are storing leftover foods inside of air-tight containers.
How Do I Get Rid Of Ants On My Elizabeth City Property?
There are many home pest control solutions that people turn to to handle their ant problems. If you are looking for a way to stop ants before they become a serious problem in your living areas, trust the ant pest control provided by Albemarle Termite & Pest Control. We offer both residential and commercial ant control plans designed to fit our client’s individual needs. If you don’t know if your home has a problem, let us come over and perform a detailed inspection.
Reach out to our team today to learn more about our ant pest control plans and schedule your Elizabeth City home for a visit.