The Best Way To Keep Rodents Away From Your Elizabeth City Home
It is not uncommon to see rodents on properties. Squirrels are always out searching for nuts, groundhogs can be seen burrowing under sheds, and mice and rats like to take shelter in brush piles and in other secluded areas. We are here today to talk about which rodents like to invade homes in Elizabeth City and what methods work best to keep them out of your home.
Identifying A Rodent Problem In Your Elizabeth City House
There are a few different types of rodents that like to invade homes here in Elizabeth City. The two you should be most concerned about are mice and rats. Mice are small rodents that have many predators. To keep away from danger and avoid negative conditions outdoors, they will break into area homes to look for food, water, and shelter. Rats have fewer predators but will still invade living areas to stay warm, well-fed, and hydrated. If these pests are inside your Elizabeth City home, identify them by the damage they cause. Some damage to look out for are gnaw marks on furniture legs, holes through walls and boxes, and torn up insulation, fabrics, and paper. You can also identify these pests by their fecal droppings.
Are Rodents Dangerous To Have In Your Elizabeth City Home?
All rodents can be dangerous. Wild rodents are more dangerous because of the places they live and the food they consume. It is not uncommon for rats and mice to crawl through sewers, snack on trash, and nibble on decaying organisms. This causes them to pick up a variety of diseases that they can then carry and spread throughout homes. Some common diseases rodents spread directly include salmonellosis, hantavirus, and rat-bite fever.
Another way rodents threaten people is by carrying pests like fleas and ticks indoors. These smaller parasitic bugs can transmit sicknesses like Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, tularemia, and murine typhus.
Tips To Keep Rodents Away From Your Elizabeth City Home
If you suspect wild rodents are trying to break into your Elizabeth City home, put in place some prevention tips to keep them out. Here is a list of comprehensive rodent control tips to use today.
- Thoroughly inspect your home’s exterior foundation for gaps, cracks, and openings. Seal off these potential entry points using a caulking gun or some liquid cement.
- Inspect your doors and windows for damage to their screens, frames, door sweeps, and weatherstripping. Repair or replace these protective items as needed.
- Have your gutters cleaned once a year and make sure they are in good working condition.
- Install metal screens over gutter down spouts and unprotected ventilation on the exterior of your home.
- Clean your home at least once a week and do your best to address food messes and drink spills when they occur.
- Make sure your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Store all of your leftover food inside air-tight containers.
Where Can I Find Effective Rodent Control Services In Elizabeth City?
It doesn’t matter if small rodents or big rodents invade your Elizabeth City home. Once these pests get indoors, they are a nightmare to get out. At Albemarle Termite & Pest Control, we offer comprehensive service options to identify these problematic pests, remove them from living areas, and establish long-lasting control methods to keep them out in the future. All of our services are designed to fit our clients’ individual needs.
Call today to see what rodent control would look like for your Elizabeth City home and schedule an appointment to check if your living areas are infested.