Who Else In Elizabeth City, NC Wants An Ant-Free Home?
October 21, 2019
What is your worst experience with ants? Was it when you squished some between your toes while trying to grab a snack from the kitchen? Perhaps it was when you were outside, and fire ants ruined a perfectly good cookout? Maybe your experience with ants is a little more destructive and involves carpenter ants eating away at your home. Whatever your experience is with frustrating ants, we can be sure of one thing - you are here today to find out how to stop them. You’re in luck. We have the answers you need for pest control in Elizabeth City.
Different Kinds Of Ants
There are many species of ants here in Elizabeth City; some pose a threat to you, and others pose a threat to your home, but most are just around for the free food. Here at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control, we separate ants into three categories - dangerous, destructive, and nuisance.
- Dangerous Ants: Although many ants can bite here in Elizabeth City, only one species pose any real problems. You know them as “fire ants”. These tiny red insects congregate and build their nests in yards. If you have the unfortunate instance of stepping on or near one of their hills, you will be in for a painful surprise. Fire ants will repeatedly bite and sting, causing red welts to form on the skin that leaving a burning sensation. If you are allergic to fire ants, however, you could be at risk of going into anaphylactic shock.
- Destructive Ants: The aptly named carpenter ant is the only species of destructive ant here in Elizabeth City. Unlike their close cousin, the termite, carpenter ants are not around wood looking for a meal. Instead, they seek out large pieces of wood to construct their nests. If they find the structural wood in your home meets their needs, they will likely tunnel in and settle down. As you might assume, this can bring about some significant issues given enough time.
- Nuisance Ants: This category includes ants that only want one thing, to find food in your home. This category sees ants like the acrobat ant, the Argentine ant, and little black ants. These pests crawl through holes in your walls and gaps in your foundation to scavenge for food inside your home. They can be slightly dangerous with the bacteria they can carry on their bodies, but beyond this are just a nuisance.
General Prevention For Ants
Because of the different reasons ants invade, there is a wide range of prevention steps necessary if you want to keep them away. Here is what we recommend:
- Remove clutter and natural debris from your yard.
- Trim back bushes and tree branches from the exterior of your home.
- Make sure your gutters are properly channeling water away from your foundation.
- Fix any broken pipes in your home and repair leaks.
- Repair or replace torn or ripped screens.
- Clean regularly and make sure not to miss under furniture and large appliances.
- Pick up and clean out pet food and water bowls at night before you go to bed.
- Store any leftover food inside plastic, glass, or metal airtight containers.
- Use a caulking gun to seal up holes and cracks in your foundation. Do the same for utility pipes and door and window frames that have gaps.
An Easier Way To Keep Ants Away
If the above steps seem like a lot of effort, we have an easier solution for you here at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control. Whether you are having trouble with fire ants in your yard, carpenter ants tunneling through your home, or just wanting to keep nuisance ants off your counters, we have solutions to solve your pest problems. To design a pest protection plan for your home, give us a call today. One of our friendly service representatives is standing by and ready to help you find answers.