Why It’s So Important To Keep Flies Out Of Your Elizabeth City Home
June 14, 2023
Is there anything more annoying than having a fly buzzing around your house that you can’t catch? Try an infestation of flies. These are common home invaders that nobody wants around. If you’re looking for fly and pest control in Elizabeth City, look no further than Albemarle Termite & Pest Control. We have the experience and know the most effective tricks to get rid of flies in your home.
Common Types Of Flies That Infest Elizabeth City Homes
Many different types of flies in Elizabeth City are commonly seen in households. They each have different habits, which means treatment for infestations can vary. Here’s how you can figure out what exactly is buzzing around your home:
- House flies look similar to horse flies, but they’re much smaller. Most house flies are typically 1/4 inch or smaller and don’t bite. You might see their eggs around your house, which look like small grains of rice.
- Fruit flies are tiny. They’re typically about 1/8 inch long and much lighter than house flies. They’ll be seen flying around your kitchen, especially near trash cans and fruit that’s been left out.
- Drain flies are usually seen around, you guessed it, kitchen drains. Their moth-like wings make them look like tiny moths gathered around sinks and drains. Their larvae grow and feed in shallow, dirty water, meaning a pileup of dishes in the sink can be an ideal home.
- Cluster flies are more likely to be seen inside in the winter rather than in the summer. They come into your home looking for warmth and shelter. They’re slow flyers, and they aren’t going to fly off when swatted like other flies.
No matter what kind of fly is infesting your home, Albemarle Termite & Pest Control can help. Call us today for the best way to get rid of flies in your home.
How Fly Infestations Can Be A Health Concern
Some flies are more than just annoying. They can lay eggs in food and on other surfaces in your home. They also land on people, food, and surfaces after resting on contaminants like waste or decaying animals and plants. House flies are also known to transfer many diseases, including salmonellosis, typhoid, and tuberculosis.
Six No-Sweat Fly Prevention Tips For Around The House
The good news is that there are things you can do to keep the flies at bay, including:
- Regularly remove trash and keep receptacles sealed. Household trash, especially food waste, can attract flies. By keeping it out of the house and placing a secure lid on the bin, you can keep flies away.
- Place screens on windows and doors that are frequently left open. A fine-mesh screen in good repair keeps flies (and other potential pests) from entering your home, even when you have windows open.
- Clean up pet waste immediately. Pet waste is another thing that attracts flies. Clean it up and throw it away in an outdoor receptacle.
- Apply insect repellent before outdoor activities.
- Store produce in air-tight containers or in the fridge. Keeping food, especially fresh produce, sealed and put away slows down the ripening process and keeps fruit flies in the kitchen away.
- Make sure to clean drain lines, garbage disposals, and other places where food waste can build up. Keeping these areas clean can take a little more work, but the benefits are high. Not only do you take away another source of food and shelter from flies and other pests, but your kitchen will also be cleaner and more sanitary.
The bottom line is that putting away food and removing garbage from your home will prevent most infestations, not just flies. But if you do have a fly problem, calling a professional home pest control company is the easiest way to take care of it.
Professional Pest Control Is A Great Way To Keep The Flies Away
Flies breed very quickly. By the time you notice that there’s a real problem, you likely have a few generations living rent-free in your home. But don’t worry; Albemarle Termite & Pest Control is a family-owned and operated pest control company with 100 combined years in the pest control industry. Our pest management professionals will take care of fly infestations and any other pest infestations you may be dealing with. Without the right tools and an understanding of these pests, an infestation can be hard to control. That’s why it’s better to leave it to us. We’ll perform a free inspection and create a treatment plan that’s right for you so that you can rest easy. Whether you have house flies or fruit flies buzzing around your house, we’ll get them out and keep them out. A fly-free home is just a call away.