Don't Accidentally Attract Rodents In Elizabeth City
February 20, 2023
Security should be your first and crucial consideration when creating a comfortable home. But how possible is it to make your home safe if you are up against animals that seem to have been created to infiltrate homes? Particularly, we are talking about rodents. You can find these animals nearly everywhere globally. Unfortunately, these dirty creatures like living where humans are, eating our food, and enjoying the warmth of our houses. Though they look cute, their destructive habits make them unwelcome in our homes. Call Elizabeth City pest control experts immediately if you see any rodents in your home.
You probably have some rodents in your home already, and maybe, you've tried to eliminate them without success. If so, it's time to let Albemarle Termite & Pest Control, Inc. deal with them on your behalf. In this article, you will learn the dangers of rodents and how to keep rodents away from your home.
Types Of Rodents That Often Invade Elizabeth City Homes
The most common types of rodents in Elizabeth City homes are mice, rats, squirrels, and others. Though they differ in size and structure, they have many common features that make it easy for them to invade homes. First, they are quite flexible. They can squeeze through tiny spaces to access your home. Additionally, they have very sharp front teeth that enable them to cut through barriers and widen previously small holes and cracks to create entry points.
The most common rodent species you can find in your Elizabeth home are:
- House mice: they are gray to light brown with cream underbellies. They have large ears and pointed noses, and long tails.
- Norway rats: these have heavy and dense bodies covered with shaggy fur. They are gray or brown with scaly tails with no hair. Norway rats aren't good at climbing objects.
- Roof rats: They have thin bodies that make them very agile. Roof rats are good climbers. They have black or brown fur with some gray hairs scattered in between.
No matter the type of rodent you are dealing with, their behaviors are similar. These animals multiply very fast, so you need to call us immediately when you see a rodent in your home.
How Dangerous Is It To Have Rodents On My Property?
Rodents are the most dangerous pests to have in your home. They can trigger short circuits and fires, spread dangerous illnesses, contaminate food, and damage structures. Rodents themselves are infested with disease-causing parasites like mites, ticks, and fleas, which they can bring into your homes. They also transmit bacteria and viruses through their shed fur, excrement, and saliva.
The smell of their droppings and urine can cause allergic reactions. The common diseases associated with rodents include leptospirosis, salmonellosis, Bubonic plague, diarrhea, dysentery, and cholera. Furthermore, rodents can damage your books, furniture, car wires, clothes, rags, and carpets and infect your pets. These are just a few reasons why rodent pest control is crucial.
How To Make Your Property Less Inviting To Rodents
Sometimes you can be inviting rodents into your home unknowingly. So, you need to learn how to get rid of rodents in your house and make your home less attractive to them. Here are the ten steps you can take to achieve this:
- Cut back tree branches and overgrown vegetation close to your house or fence.
- Pick up vegetables and fruits that fall in your garden.
- Repair damaged or missing shingles.
- Don't place bird feeders in your yard.
- Mow your lawn and rake away the cuttings.
- Make sure your chimney has tight-fitting caps.
- Seal any cracks, crevasses, and openings in walls, ceilings, and furniture.
- Keep your garbage bin tightly closed.
- Keep your food and pet food in sealable containers.
- Keep your house and yard clean.
The above tips will only discourage rodents from visiting your home, but they will still come. The surest way to prevent them from returning for good is to work with an experienced pest control company like Albemarle Termite & Pest Control, Inc.
The Best Way To Get Rid Of Rodents And Keep Them Out
Unfortunately, you can try any DIY method to eliminate rodents, but they will still visit you. Let experts do everything when it comes to eliminating rodents and keeping them away from your home for good.
At Albemarle Termite & Pest Control, Inc, we know the types of rodents that can invade your Elizabeth City home and how to eliminate and prevent them from coming back. We use human and environmentally-friendly home pest control methods for your safety and that of your loved ones. Call us now so we can be your trusted partners in rodent pest control.