Steps To Get Rid Of Roaches Inside Your Elizabeth City Home
August 17, 2022
Have you ever turned on your kitchen light and seen cockroaches suddenly scatter as they try to hide? Few things are as disturbing as discovering cockroaches around your Elizabeth City home, and these pests are sadly widespread. Cockroaches are one of the more invasive species in the area, and once they invade, they are challenging to eradicate.
While cockroaches may be dangerous and widespread, there are ways to protect your home from them. Our Elizabeth City pest control professionals at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control have put together this guide full of cockroach prevention steps.
F.A.Q.: Home Remedies For Roach Infestations
If you already have a cockroach infestation, it's a waste of time to try and remove it on your own. Cockroaches in Elizabeth City are incredibly hardy and resistant to many over-the-counter sprays and baits. Instead, the best at-home remedy for cockroaches is prevention. It's much easier to deter these pests than to remove them, and all households can benefit from following a few prevention measures, such as:
- Always clean food and drink spills right away.
- Keep kitchens clean by mopping floors and doing dirty dishes.
- Address humidity issues by using dehumidifiers and eradicating standing water from the property.
- Fix up entry points into the property by installing door sweeps and weather stripping.
- Cover trash cans with secure lids.
The best way to completely deter cockroaches is to implement these steps alongside professional pest control services.
How Long Will It Take To Get Rid Of Roaches In My Home?
If you've started seeing cockroaches inside your house, there are likely hundreds of thousands you aren't seeing. Cockroaches can hide in tiny holes in the walls, and behind clutter, so you might not be able to find where they are nesting. If you attempt DIY cockroach control, you could fight the infestation for months with no success. While some over-the-counter products will eliminate some cockroaches, they won't get them all.
But, if you have Elizabeth City professional pest control services, the cockroach removal treatments usually remove most cockroaches in a week or two. We also provide follow-up services to ensure no cockroach remains.
Finding The Roach Hiding Spots In Your Home
Because most cockroaches are less than an inch long, there are many places around your home they can hide. Remember that cockroaches are mainly nocturnal, so it's best to look for these pests at night.
Here are some key spaces you can inspect to check for roaches like the German cockroach and American cockroach:
- Cabinets: Shine a light into cabinets and behind them.
- Appliances: Look behind kitchen appliances.
- Drain Pipes: Wait until nighttime to see if any roaches are coming out of your sinks.
- Cracks And Crevices: It's challenging to check all of these, but look around for holes in the walls.
- Wall Hangings: German cockroaches primarily will hide behind paintings and other wall decorations, so look behind these items.
Finally, the best way to find where cockroaches in your home are hiding is to reach out for a cockroach inspection.
Keeping Roaches In Elizabeth City Away From Your Home Forever!
Because cockroaches can transmit dozens of illnesses, including E.coli, dysentery, and gastroenteritis, investing in cockroach control is wise. Unfortunately, these are incredibly invasive pests that are hard to control on your own, so it's not worth the effort and risk to attempt at-home options.
The simplest way to get comprehensive protection from roaches is with home pest control services. Call Albemarle Termite & Pest Control today to learn more about these services or request a quote.