To Get Rid Of Ants On Your Elizabeth City Property - Fast!
July 30, 2021
Ants are America's #1 nuisance pest, and once they’ve made themselves at home, good luck getting rid of them. There are more than 700 types of ant species found throughout the United States, and they can easily become an Elizabeth City homeowner’s worst nightmare if not dealt with properly. Regardless of type, ants can cause a slew of health issues as well as property risks. For more information on the types of ants prone to the area, what an infestation might look like, and how to handle it, read on.
Types Of Ants Commonly Found In Elizabeth City
As previously mentioned, there are over 700 types of ants wandering around the United States. Here are some that are most commonly found in the Elizabeth City area:
- Argentine ants are nearly microscopic, measuring 1/16 - ¼ of an inch. Identifiable by their amber coloring, Argentine ants create colonies near food sources and emit a musky odor if crushed. To prevent an argentine ant infestation, clean up any spills quickly and turn over any stale water.
- Carpenter ants are usually red or black and are easily spotted due to their color and the tunnels that they construct in wood. Carpenter ants tend to seek areas with excess moisture and wood that have been softened by fungus, so homeowners should be aware of any rotting wood on their property and dispose of or treat it promptly.
- Odorous ants are also impossibly tiny and hard to spot, measuring only 1/16-? of an inch in length. They are brown or black in color. Odorous ants tend to nest in walls or under floors inside homes and outside; they can be found in exposed soil or within stacks of firewood. They also come seeking sweet foods like melons.
- Red imported fire ants appear as they sound, dark reddish-brown like fire, and measure approximately ?-? of an inch. They tend to build their nests outdoors near a house’s foundation or in landscaping. While they mostly live outside, red imported fire ants can gain access to buildings or homes through AC units or HVAC systems. Lastly, unlike many other ants, red imported fire ants attack when their nest is disturbed and will cause a very painful sting, which will result in welting or more severe allergic reactions.
How To Address An Ant Infestation
At the first sign of an ant infestation of any kind, Elizabeth City homeowners can try the following:
- Storing food and trash properly is key to cutting off an infestation. Ants enter the home in search of a food source, so rinsing cans and jars thoroughly, cleaning up spills immediately and thoroughly, and removing the trash on a regular basis is a good start.
- Though ants’ primary goal is looking for food, they are also looking for moisture, which makes the bathroom a big offender. Consider checking sinks, toilets, and faucets; clean the bathroom regularly; and keep an eye out for any soap or shampoo spills, as ants consider their contents a food source.
- Though the inside of the house can attract ants in its own right, sealing up any potential entry points is crucial to prevent them from getting in the house, to begin with. This entails sealing up any cracks in the foundation, repairing leaking drain lines, and replacing any worn weather stripping. Additionally, remove any outdoor plantings or pots at the first sign of ants.
- Consider using over-the-counter insecticides and traps where ants have congregated. However, take caution, as this can be dangerous for you, your children, and your pets.
Despite some very thorough prevention tips and DIY efforts, the safest and most effective way to rid a property of an ant infestation is by calling Albemarle Termite & Pest Control for ongoing assistance and assurance. Reach out to us today to learn more about our recurring home pest control options.