Virginia Homeowners' Step-By-Step Cockroach Control Guide
May 31, 2021
Everyone has a different tolerance for cleanliness; some people like their homes to be as spotless as possible, while others don’t mind a bit of clutter as long as it gets picked up regularly. Regardless of how you feel about cleanliness, there is one dirty thing you should always have a problem with. We are talking about cockroaches in Virginia. These filthy, dangerous pests are a huge problem around Virginia homes, but fortunately, we have a comprehensive control guide to stop them.
Learn About Cockroaches
To properly control cockroaches around your home, you have to first know a bit about these pests. In general with pest problems, knowing your enemy is half of the war. To help you better understand roaches, here are a few basic facts about these insects you should know:
Cockroaches have hard-shelled bodies that compact to squeeze through tight spaces. These bodies are also able to withstand over 900 times a cockroach’s weight in pressure.
Cockroaches can withstand five times more radiation than humans can. Many scientists hypothesize that roaches will still be living on the planet long after other life forms are gone.
Cockroaches are incredibly fast for insects and can move at over three miles per hour. In addition to this, roaches have the unique ability to transition from floors to walls, to ceilings without breaking pace.
Cockroaches are mostly nocturnal pests and will hide inside homes during the day and only come out at night to search for food.
Cockroaches prefer dark, secluded, greasy, and humid areas. Common areas where these pests hang out around homes include beneath large kitchen appliances, around basements, in laundry rooms, and fixtures in bathrooms.
Find Out If Your Home Has Cockroaches
Cockroach prevention tips do not eliminate roaches. Because of this, you must inspect your home for these pests before implementing prevention steps. To do this, check your home for these six signs of roaches:
- Cockroach droppings
- Smear marks of grease and dirt on floors, walls, and ceilings
- Cockroach eggs
- An unpleasant musty odor in the air
- Shed skin
- Live cockroaches
Put In Place Prevention For Roaches
Once you have evaluated your home and can safely assume cockroaches are not around, your next step is to implement prevention. Here are some helpful tips our experts recommend you try:
- Eliminate sources of water build up around your property.
- Remove debris from your yard.
- Tidy up clutter and organize storage areas around your property.
- Check your gutters and make sure they are working properly.
- Fix leaky piping and fixtures.
- Use a caulking gun to close openings in the exterior of your home.
- Make sure window/door screens are rip/tear-free.
- Repair damage to weatherstripping and door sweeps.
- Keep your home clean and do your best to keep up with food and drink messes as they happen.
- Invest in tight-fitting lids for your trash cans.
- Pick up and clean out your pet’s food and water bowls before going to bed each night.
Know When To Call A Professional
If you suspect your home has an active cockroach infestation or simply want to keep these pests out altogether, look to the experts at Albemarle Termite & Pest Control. Our team offers detailed home pest control service to identify, eliminate, and prevent dangerous pests like roaches, and we would be happy to put our expertise to the test around your Virginia home.
Give us a call when you are ready to find out what a pest-free home looks like.